The United States has always been considered a place of opportunity, growth, and wealth. Many global citizens cherish Western culture and its upholding of individualism. They admire the idea of being able to “pull yourself up by your bootstraps,” which makes it easier to get ahead financially, meet significant life milestones, and achieve contentment in life. All of these factors motivate people around the world to move to America, permanently or temporarily, to pursue their dreams, whether it’s related to educational or career-oriented goals.

Many foreign nationals move to America to begin or advance their career. Before they begin work in the U.S., however, they must obtain an employment-based visa. Luckily, there are a variety of work visas available to foreign nationals looking to work in the United States. According to the U.S. Department of State, there are, in fact, 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas for qualified applicants each fiscal year.

These employment visas will allow foreign nationals to live and work in the country temporarily, whether they’re involved in medicine, education, technology, entertainment, or otherwise. The field or industry of their choice will determine which visa they will need to secure, and Bush Law Firm is here to break them down for you:

H-1B: With this visa, workers with specialized knowledge can work for a U.S. company for a temporary period of time.

E-1, E-2, and EB-5: These visas typically appeal to investors and traders that need to enter the country for business-related reasons.

R: Employees of religious institutions can enter the United States for a short period of time to perform religious functions on this visa.

L: Calling all managers and executives! This visa is for you, allowing those with specialized managerial knowledge to transfer to a similar type of American business.

J: Researchers, students, scholars, and professors benefit from this visa, which allows them into the country to pursue opportunities in their field of study.

O and P: These two options grant entertainers, artists, and other talented individuals with access into the United States to pursue their art.

TN/TD: These visas are only relevant to citizens on the North American continent, whether they’d be residents of Canada or Mexico.

PERM: Any U.S. employer, who is looking to hire team members from foreign countries, must apply for this labor certification.

In order to apply for one of these employment visas, your employer must petition for you before anything else is completed on your end. To begin the process, your employer must obtain a labor certification approval from the U.S. Department of Labor. Once this is completed, they will file an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After your employer finishes their end of the process, you can begin your own!

Don’t know where to begin? Bush Law Firm is well-versed in all forms of employment and family-based immigration law. If you’re interested in acquiring an employment visa to work in the United States for any period of time, our Gonzales and New Orleans immigration attorneys are here to assist you in the matter. Give our Gonzales location a call at (225)800-8008, or you can reach our New Orleans office at (504)900-9009.


Dallon Bush

Owner, Bush Law Firm